For my unborn daughter
- Reach out to the sky. Put your hands on your neck and feel yourself throbbing. Rhythmically. Layers of stars like translucent blankets over blankets. Live for it.
- Dip your fingers in paint. Smudge the walls. Paint a rainbow, bask in its glow.
- Buy an expensive perfume. Fall in love with your scent.
- Rummage through your vanity. Wear the wine red lipstick you’ve always wanted to.
- Draw a bath. Pour bubblebath. Light some candles. Pamper yourself. You deserve it.
- Dye your hair a crazy color. Better yet, chop it off. It’ll always grow back.
- Call your mother. Tell her you love her. She loves you too.